Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Two revs at the SAME TIME

Big day today, with significant progress made towards both of my current revolutions, the new house and the new car. I turned in the lease for our new place, and went to the DMV and got a one-trip permit to drive the M5 home from TN. I was really nervous about the latter because there was conflicting information regarding how the permit would work out, but the permit showed up in the mail at 11:30am, and it all worked. Made the 2 hours sitting at the DMV anxiously totally worth it.

4 days. The response to my thread about the trip has been awesome on MyE28.com, with some amazing tips and support for both the purchase and the road trip. One guy read my summary of why I want the M5 on this blog and said it reminded him of the following story of another E28 M5 purchase, which I liked a lot and thought was worth reposting here. Read if you have some time.

Hey, so I bought one of these things a few weeks ago, I’ve been driving it around a little bit, dropping in the forums here and there and, along with my wife and my friends, asking myself “what the hell am I thinking with this old car?”  
Because the BMW E28 M5 is a silly car. Perhaps it was superlative when it was new but now it is a machine that time has left behind. It has a motor that isn’t particularly strong, (our family grocery getter, an XC 90 has more ponies, as they like to say in the auto writing world) it doesn’t go very fast, a new Toyota Camry can keep up, it isn’t particularly well built or appointed (again see the Camry example), it is loud and it rides like a forklift.  
Despite all this is seems to have acquired a small following, which now that I am part of, that might warrant some mention. And since I’ve been out shopping for one recently and in contact with a number of owners, I wonder if I’m in as good a position as anyone to comment on who owns these cars here in the summer of 2006. My biases are shaped by only being in touch with those who want to sell their cars and those who communicate on line; still I think a picture emerges.   
First off, this is a car that is owned by men, and primarily men age 30 to 45. One can speculate as to why, I wonder if younger men, generally, don’t have enough money for a cash drain like this and older ones have lost the burn, are selling out and, quite possibility, have wised up. As for a women, you are as likely to find a women talking about the chassis serial number, valve clearances and rims on her M5 as find one stuffing dollar bills in the G-string of an exotic dancer or entering the freshmen class at with. There is negligible gender cross over this car because this is a mechanical car, a linier car, a hierarchical car in the extreme and so far as I can tell it is only men with their mechanical, linier and hierarchical minds who are interested. 
So what men bite? The first general classification that appears to a buyer is the division between those who can afford the car and its upkeep and those who can’t. Since the cars trade hands for less than a new Hyundai, around 10K, a fair amount of them end up in the hands of people who aren’t ready for the upkeep bills. In the can afford category seem to be a lot of engineers and financial services types.  
The financial services guys are the ones who put their cars on e-bay photographed next to pictures of their E60's or who, like the guy I bought mine from, meet you at the airport in a new E55 AMG and are wistfully having you help them clean out their garage. These guys, like most guys who make a living selling bonds, trading currency or shorting coal have their limitations. They seem to own the cars as conversation pieces, ego boosts or a way to be different, however, in the distraction that too-much-resources creates, I’m not sure how much traction the machines gain upon their imagination. The ones who I talk to seem to have a limited understanding of the cars and they seem to take a limited hold of them. A telling comment from the guy who sold it to me was “Last week I’d left the E55 home was driving the M5 when I got stuck in traffic. I got off the freeway and cut through the Oakland hills to get home. God that was great, I’d forgotten how much fun the car is to drive.” What didn’t occur to him is to leave the E55 home every day in order to the cut through the Oakland hills, instead he was selling it to me and showing the guys at the office how big the 2005 bonus was by what was in his parking space. Each to their own.  
The engineers are in a different class. They know and understand the cars, they are the bedrocks of forums and thank God for them. Not a few of them seem to have traded in there Star Trek based obsession with which episode Kirk escaped Kingon armada with phasar enigmon 11 (or was it phaser enigmon 12) and debating weather Hulk could take The Thing in a fair fight with obsessing about the model numbers, build dates, and engine oil options. This is great, that’s why they are engineers they take wonderful care of the cars and thank God for them.  
The second major category of owners, at least from the point of view of this buyer, is those who can’t afford the cars. They also break down into two categories. First are those who think it’s neat to have an old black BMW that goes fast but don’t know much else. You don’t find these people on the forums but bump into them as they try to sell. They are clueless, they are not sure what they own, their cars have become beaters and they are to be avoided by the buyer.  
The last group of people who can barely afford their cars and are either looking to sell or are forgoing milk for the children in order to buy another quart of synthetic oil are the owners I like the most. They are the ones hanging in by will, grit and intelligence. They are all over these forums, thoughtful, restrained and quietly passionate. These are the men like the fellow who posted his experience changing out his timing chain. I bit my fingers as I read about how, after two days of trying, he finally got the dampner retaining nut off the shaft with a Dremal tool and nearly clapped when I read how after the job the car started up, the rattle came out of the chain as the tensioner kicked in the car has now gone 600 miles without a hitch. These guys are self-educated mechanics, resourceful and gutsy. They are the heirs to the men who staggered up the Plains of Abraham to attack the British garrison at Quebec, their grandfathers came off the farm, cursed Patton blue and kept the third Army’s tanks on line and barreling toward the Rhine. I’m proud to join them in this minor endeavor.  
But why? As Paul DeWitt started to attempt to articulate but eventually broke off, why care at all about these 20 year-old boxy, out dated cars?  
First of all, they’re better looking than you think they are. It’s obvious that their shape is in a different category than the ubiquitous, Chris Bangle inspired, rounded automobiles that the wind tunnels and friction coefficients have bent almost everything on four wheels into over the last 15 years. (Although there is starting to be a backlash, see the new Mustang and Charger). But different how? As far as I can tell the shape of the e28 emerged in the mid-seventies and its design language is rooted firmly in the Bauhaus where bold clear geometry was intended to convey strength and integrity. However the E28s save themselves from being Volvo 240s or Mercedes 300s by Marcello Gabrilini's brilliant slight swoop of the hood and that quirky, vaguely menacing backslash of the front grill. They are not quite graceful but not dull either and the tension between the box of the back end and the slant of the front is continually interesting. 
Beyond looks there is balance. Again, the motor isn’t that big, the tires aren’t that wide, the car isn’t that quick, the interior is that lux, however, like good wine, skillful diplomacy or a healthy marriage, this endeavor keeps its elements in balance. In a distinctly West German way I find that the motor, suspension, brakes and driver environment work together in harmony in the e28 M5, something like the tannins, oak, alcohol and grape work together in well executed wine. Therefore every drive, like every sip is a potential joy. Every time I’m in the car, particularly after being in new cars in it’s class (there are no older ones) I’m struck by how well all the systems dance together, how tight the car feels and how even for me, a guy who has been living in Manhattan and hasn’t driven regularly for 8 years, the car is cleanly responsive to my instructions.  
Finally there is great pleasure to be taken in the age of these cars. 20 years is a long, long time for a complex machine to run in harsh environment and anyone who has an old complex machine that is running well knows that only a magical mix of luck, and the focused labor or dozens of men working dozens hours has made the experience possible. Every experience in an old car is refracted through this luck and labor and is richer because of it.  
I didn’t really know any of this a month ago when I decided to get the car, though I intuited that I wanted off the shinny new car trail in on something different, preferable made by tight-lipped West Germans, preferably with soul, preferably something my employees would walk past in the parking lot that would make them more curious than irate.  
And so I found the car on-line, made sure it was what it was said it was, bought it and flew to San Francisco to pick it up and take it back East. I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it initially but got my first hint of the future a day later on I-80 coming East out of Sacramento across the floor of the Central Valley just before dawn.  
There were just a few cars on a butter smooth road and the cruise control was set to 80 when some kid in a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX came up weaving up traffic and ended up in front of me. He and the car in the right lane were running even at about ninety, no one in front of them. Hmmmm. I and put the M5 in the left lane crept up on that GSX in 5th gear until I was 10 feet off his bumper. Then I did what I like to think the white-coated, short-haired, bespeckled, clip-board carrying Hun who created my machine wanted me to do – I gave that GSX a long steady flash of my brights. GSX did just what I expected, he accelerated, moved over to the right hand lane and kept accelerating. I gave him a few seconds to declare himself and then I dropped into 4th and the 20 year old car pulled across 4500 to 6500 RPM, joyfully howling like a turbo jet, lunging forward until I put her in fifth and kept going until I was locked at 140 mph, the GSX disappearing in the rearview mirror as I hurled across the waking Central Valley into the riot of the coming sun.

Off to practice, but it feels great to have some key pieces come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment