Saturday, November 19, 2011

The journey before the journey

Sitting in Chicago O'hare, I am weary of this penultimate journey. Planes are much less fun than sports cars, as I was reminded with the Windy City living up to its nickname as the entire plane nearly tossed up breakfast amongst children's screams alternating joy and terror. While the light at the end of the tunnel is bright, I have been mentally readying myself for this trip for weeks (months? years? decades?) and it's time to have the Car in my possession. Similar to the build-up of applying to college, standing on the precipice of achieving a life-long dream can play some weird tricks on a person. Self-defense mode kicks in, and the goal can seem silly, inconsequential, or unnecessary. Just as Stanford turned out to be everything I had dreamed of and more, I have little doubt that the M5 is going to be amazing in ways I can't even imagine. My brain and heart are just tired of thinking about it; time to DO.

My time-confused stint in Chicago has been fine though, with funny occurrences like finding an automatic toilet-seat covering system, seeing the crazy light displays I remember from my one other ORD stop when I was in elementary school, and enjoying some of the impressively fantsy food.

That's all fine, but getting the obligatory car magazine at Hudson News only served to remind me of the object of my mission and my desire to achieve it rather than ponder it. The 5th generation of the BMW M5 graces the cover, with the feature revealing it as another impressive "advancement" of the model, with continued unfortunate side-effects of electronic interference and weight. A nice reminder of how pure the original is, an how much I want to be driving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment