Sunday, November 13, 2011

Two revs, one cup

I find a great humor when life comes together, against all odds, exactly right. A good example is at the rowing summer camp I run, where I had open registrations capped only when the total number, boys, girls, coxswains, and rowers reached the capacity of the dormitories. I was thus quite amused when, by no actual skill or intention, the number of girls that showed up exactly fit 5 boats worth of people.

A similar situation then, as the day I arrive back in California with The Car (introduced in the last post) is the day my lease beings at my new apartment. As much as The Car is a revolution, the change in living situation is an equal or greater revolution. Sarah and I are moving in together, though this isn't a huge change as we have for all intents and purposes been sharing the living space every day for the last year. The real change is that I will not be inhabiting San Francisco for the first time in almost 4 years. We're moving to Menlo Park, CA, right next to Palo Alto where we both work. It's not a bad town, but it's hard to compare anywhere to the thriving culture, diversity, and general amazingness that is San Francisco.



We decided to move in together a long time ago, and I think the ensuing time to discuss, peruse, and compare has been invaluable. In the end, we knew each location had serious list of pros and cons. I don't feel like listing them all here now, but it made it tough knowing that neither solution would be ideal in the end. In the end, keeping costs and commuting times down won out, so we're going to try the Peninsula for a while. The place we found is really great, and we're very much looking forward to putting energy into our own place. A lot of change all at once though, with multiple revolutions concurrently. A very exciting and anxious time.

No comments:

Post a Comment